Monday, July 25, 2011

EOC WK 2


This photo was taken at the Cheyenne Saloon in Las Vegas in preparation of the local band The Marquees, which happen to be a three piece band and this worked out to my favor. There is always a time crunch during set ups, but when a basic rock trio comes along you find yourself taking your time when it comes to mic placements. I can recall the drummer setting up his rig first, he was the first one to show up out of the band to the gig. He unloaded his gear quickly and placed it where I had told him to without asking any questions (you’ll be surprised). This showed me that he has been around, that he was a seasoned drummer. He prepped his kit so that we can easily set it up on stage when the time was right. Using a Beta 52 for the kick, 57 for the snare and for the Hi-Hat, and I honestly can’t remember what I put on the toms right now. I wasn’t overly impressed with the gear that they had at the Cheyenne Saloon at the time because it all looked runned down. By that I mean that those mics had to have had 10 years of experience being in a bar atmosphere getting trashed, and of the mains horns was totally blown. Keep in mind that I had to mix this live, and make it all sound like butter the best way that I possibly can. I consider myself lucky to believe in a higher power, I needed all the help that I could get on a night like this. What I used for the drum overheads was a pair of Shure 81’s, and for the bass guitar it was just a D.I. box. The guitar was just as simple, a Shure 57 for the amp and I called it quits for a moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment